The worldly meaning of ”expository” is to expose something. This means that to write an expository essay on a certain topic, the writer needs to define it in detail and describe it from all possible aspects. In order to prepare well for essay topics, you should prepare ideas for common topics and then practise applying them to the tasks given.
An expository essay not just solely defines the topic but also does an analysis and conducts an examination on it as well. An expository essay is a type of essay in which a student is supposed to evaluate the given topic and also all the evidence provided to support it.
In the expository essays, the writer aims to create an argument out of the given topic. This makes the explanation of the topic easier for them.
An expository essay is further divided into some major types that are as follows:
- Cause and effect essay
- Descriptive essays
- Comparison essay
- Problem and solution essay
- Process essay.
All these essays are quite often written by the students at different levels of academia. All these types of expository essays aim to explain and define things but in their own particular manner.
Expository essay outline
The outline for an expository essay is similar to the outlines of almost all other essay types. It has the same three major elements i.e. an introduction, body paragraphs, and a formal conclusion.
For the introductory part of an expository essay, the writer needs to use a hook sentence to grab the attention of the readers. Afterward, there must be a little background information related to the topic and a thesis statement before ending the introduction.
- Body paragraph
The body of an essay has usually three body paragraphs starting with a topic sentence. These paragraphs discuss the main elements of an expository essay one by one.
In this part, the writer needs to wrap up the essay in a logical way by summarizing all the key points mentioned in the essay. No new point should be added in this part.
Expository Essay Topics
An expository essay can be written on any topic you can think of. There are almost no limits to expository essays and can be composed of the weakest and the strongest topics.
The only thing that you need to be careful while choosing a topic for this type of essay is logic, nature, and the concept of the selected topic.
Below there is an extensive list of expository essay topics for you to choose the best one from.
2 Expository Topics on Personal Experiences
- Describe your college life and how it relates to high school.
- Explain how a person with suicidal thoughts can be counseled.
- Describe how to start an anti-bullying campaign in schools.
- Your thoughts on teen pregnancy.
- Your plan of action to win your school’s student council presidency.
- Explain why his school sports team is considered significant.
- Explain the role of parents in disciplining their children
- The personality of Bob Marley.
- Explain the uses of marijuana and the benefits of its legalization.
- The makeup industry preys on our low self-esteem.
Expository Topics on Literature
- Explain Shakespeare’s use of language in Romeo and Juliet.
- Give examples of dramatic irony in two Shakespeare plays.
- Figurative language is often used in literature. Describe.
- Explain the reasons for conflict between Hamlet and Claudius.
- Give examples of lessons learned from your favorite Shakespeare play.
- Give your thoughts on the role of women in literature.
- Explain your thoughts on the character development in Ophelia.
- What are your thoughts on the impact of the story about Romeo and Juliet?
- What poem had a profound effect on you and why?
- Which author had a profound impact on you and why?
Expository Topics on Social Issues
- How to rehabilitate juvenile lawbreakers.
- Describe the factors that a country should consider when deciding to take in illegal aliens.
- Explain how being raised in a single-parent household can result in a child becoming a well-adjusted, healthy, and successful adult.
- Explain ways that we can eradicate discrimination of all types from our society.
- Describe the positive outcomes of discrimination.
- Describe how social media is responsible for a narcissistic society.
- Explain how video games have changed over the years and the impact they have on children now versus two decades ago.
- If you could choose a language other than English to be a second universal language, what would it be and why?
- Describe a children’s book that could be a great lesson to society about how to live well.
- How is modern advertising a danger to our society?
Expository Topics on Science and Technology
- Explain how a 3D bioprinter can change modern medicine.
- Describe some vaccines that have been linked to having adverse side effects.
- Describe Google Glass and how you think it will change our way of life.
- Explain the impact of climate change.
- Describe how living in a technologically advanced society can have a negative impact on humanity.
- Explain your opinion on stem cell research.
- What do you think of our possibilities of living on another planet?
- Have our technological advancements made us better communicators?
- What are your thoughts on the use of probiotic supplements?
- Explain what is the most significant scientific discovery this century.
Ethical Issues Expository Writing Topics
- What is the ‘code of ethics’?
- Would you agree to your loved one getting assisted suicide?
- Consequences of implementing gun control
- Death penalty.
- Is there such a notion of ‘honor' in today's society?
- How would you stop racism?
- What are your opinions on morality?
- Should abortion be prohibited?
- Using an essay writing service is an act of cheating.
Expository Essay Topics On Music, Arts, Books
- What is the influence of pop music on our lives?
- If you can live in a fictional world, which book would you choose and why?
- Which art pieces do you think are the most significant and memorable works in the renaissance period?
- If you can write one book in your lifetime, what would it be and why?
- Why is music important?
- What impact does abstract art have on a person’s personality?
- Why are books considered as man's best friends?
- What do you know about the power of music?
- How can art help a person fighting with depression?
- Why is rock music a style statement?
Expository Essay Topics For High School Students
- How to manage your time and not be late?
- Strong points of your personality.
- Which effect does the Internet have on modern communication?
- How not to become a shopping addicted person if you have money?
- What is the reason for the high percentage of divorces?
- Who is your favorite film superhero and why?
- Do people need to stay independent?
- How do you understand “love”?
- Explain what friendship is for you?
- What is the secret of successful people?
Topics for Expository Essay on Personal Experience
- Describe your first memory
- What is the brightest memory of your childhood?
- Depict your first success at a sport
- What is your favorite school subject?
- What is your brightest dream about the future?
- When did you meet your first love?
- Who was your first teacher? How they impacted your personality?
- How did upbringing affect your personality?
- What do you like about cooking?
- What’s your favorite movie or book?
There are some of the strongest expository essay topics. Choose the best and the one you find interesting and compose an amazing expository essay on it. Having a tough time coming up with an idea for your cause and effect essay topics? Take help from essay writing service.
In case you are running out of time and can not take risk of writing an essay in a hurry, the best option is to opt for an essay writing service. Such services can take care of all your essay writing assignments while you can focus on your other assignments.